Thursday 4 June 2015

My Thoughts On Mad Max Fury Road


Before I start I would just like to say this isn’t a review, and that isn’t because this film is somehow “too mainstream” for this blog, that isn’t the case at all. I simply believe that there are already enough reviews singing this films praises. Instead I just want to discuss a few interesting aspects of the film and of course recommend it whole heartedly.

When I left the cinema after watching Mad Max Fury Road I was instantly stuck with an urge to turn around and see it again, and I later realised that it is very closely comparable to the time I watched a real life wall of death performed live in front of me a couple of years ago. After seeing the wall of death riders preforming mind blowing stunts at high speeds on vertical surfaces, and having my eardrums nearly torn out by their engines while being blasted with exhaust fumes, I wanted to buy another ticket and watch it again straight away. Not only is Mad Max Fury Road very comparable to a wall of death performance in its ability make you want more, it is similar in that it is an incredibly immersive experience that blows you back and makes you forget everything else around. As I sat in the cinema I was repeatedly on the edge of my seat grinning like a crack addicted munchkin as the booming sounds of the incredible stunts and eye popping visuals completely immersed me in the film. It was like no other film I have ever watched, because I at no point did it feel like I was watching a film, instead I felt like I was witnessing some kind of unstoppable force of nature that had just picked me up and thrown me around like a rag doll.

The film itself is very difficult to compare to the original Mad Max trilogy, firstly because this film has a bigger budget than that entire original trilogy combined and can therefor allow the director to more accurately bring his artistic vision to life.  And secondly because this film is less focused on Max himself and more on the world and people around him, which is something that the original trilogy never did. So I think that instead of trying to constantly compare this to the original films, we should hold this film up as a separate entity completely and not have it be dragged down by its historical baggage (which for the most part I greatly enjoy).

I also think that although the two leading performances of Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron are very good and show just how much good acting can add to a great action spectacle, the film was ultimately stolen by Nicholas Hoult who provides what I thought to be the most interesting and relatable character. Hoult’s performance displays an incredible depth, and shows just how well he can act when he is given a good role, unlike the one he was given in the sack of fetid mess that was Warm Bodies.

However, putting aside the incredibly pure immersive nature of the film backed by a brilliantly simple, yet interesting story line and great performances, the big throbbing elephant in the room is the effects and the stunts. And for those of you who are going to see this film purely for those reasons, you will not be disappointed, it has quite possibly the best and most well executed practical action scenes I have very seen. Frankly the film could be called If It Has Wheels We Put Spikes On It, Then Blew It Up With A Grenade Spear and it would be perfectly accurate. The film holds nothing back on the action front, and delivers everything that it has promised.


I feel that this film should be essential viewing for fans of cinema of the kind that is well crafted, spectacular and not reliant on shit CGI or Megan Foxes arse. Everyone keenly involved in the making of this film especially George Miller should be incredibly proud of what it has turned out to be, and I thoroughly recommend you go and see this film, preferably in theatres so you can experience its full power.                           

5 comments: